What you will find in this post?
- Shopping List for the week 2
- A summary of the lunch I packed for my kindergartener on the second week of his school.
The first week of school started with a great note. Sidd is loving his new school and new routine even though he misses his afternoon nap time. That was part of his pre-school schedule. Now he is busy working on lego or art and making new friends at his after-school program. We pick him between 06:00 – 06:30 PM hence I pack an array of snacks for the day. After a long tiring and a no-nap day, Sidd hits the bed at 08:30 PM and is fast asleep by 09.00 PM. Actually we are all sleeping by that time.
I am really glad that all the mothers and also some fathers are loving my #inhislunchbox posts. Thanks for sending your messages. It totally puts a smile to my day and it encourage me to create fun recipes for my kids.
Few of them wanted to know on how I plan the meals for the day. I don’t have a fixed template to follow but I use vegetable, cheese, crackers and fruits as a fillers with the main meal. I try to focus mostly on South Indian food as I want my kids to know about the food that is part of my culture. I also pack foods with different grains or spices so we can introduce the kids to new flavor profiles. Both my kids are open to try new food. They wouldn’t eat it all but will atleast give it a try. From all the lunch I have packed, my son finished almost 80% of his main lunch and fully eats his snacks as they are spread throughout the day.
Shopping List for Week 2
From your pantry:
From your farmers market:
- Mint leaves
- Nectarines & other stone fruits
- Clementines (leftovers from last week shopping)
- Malangai leaves (murungai keerai) – we get it in Bay Area, California
From your local grocery store
- Dehydrated vegetable chips
- Multi grain apple straws
From your local Indian grocery store:
- Indian cumin cracker cubes
- Unsweetened dessicated coconut
- Curry leaves
Week 2 Lunchbox Summary
Week 2, Day 1: In his lunchbox
- Snacks for the day: Babybel cheese, clementine, dehydrated vegetable chips and homemade energy ladoo
- Lunch: Quinoa with cabbage kootu and curry leaves- mint leaves-cilantro thogayal, nectarine, cucumber
Week 2, Day 2: In his lunchbox
- Snacks for the day: Babybel Cheese, dehydrated vegetable chips, homemade energy ladoo and a nectarine
- Lunch: Leftover bhajji from pav bhajji last night with few edamame and bread toasted in ghee and cut into strips and watermelon
Week 2, Day 3 : In his lunchbox
- Snacks for the day: Homemade energy ladoo, whole grain Apple straws, cheese
- Lunch: Lemon Quinoa-rice with slivered almonds, orange segments and cucumber
Week 2, Day 4: In his lunchbox
- Snacks: Homemade energy ladoo, Apple whole grain straws, Babybel cheese
- Lunch: Cream Cheese – Mint thogayal cucumber sandwich , carrots and orange
Never miss my posts on weekly menu planning, weightloss tips and kid friendly recipes, food science and much more! Subscribe to my blog by entering your email address. Thank you and Vanakkam!