I like one pot meals. I am not talking about something getting simmered in one huge pot. Well, I love those too. Today, I am referring to a dish which has every possible good thing – carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals in one meal. I made delicious savory cakes with cooked brown rice and boneless chicken meat.Threw in finely shredded broccoli and roasted bell peppers for added texture. Few chunks of roasted walnuts also went in it for added crunch. I used one egg and panko breadcrumbs for binding. You could also use regular bread crumbs or roasted chick pea powder to absorb the moisture. Pan seared it and served it with spinach or arugula salad.
My son loved it with chili mayo. That’s nothing but mayonnaise mixed with little sriracha.I made that dip for adults but my son was loved its taste. So I added just a drop for him to bring that beautiful pink color to it. You can totally skip the sriracha and serve it with plan mayonnaise for kids.
Savoury cakes/ patties have become a regular dish in my kitchen. I love how easy it is to fix this and I prepare the mix the previous day and let it sit in the fridge overnight. This lets the spices and flavors to mingle and marry well. The following day I cook and pack them for lunch. Sometimes I chop the cooked patties/cakes and add it to my son’s pasta or mac-and-cheese. He relishes dishes made with new and different ingredients. I think kids need change in taste every now and then. I try to add some colors and shapes to his food and he loves to recognize and learn from it. My husband keeps teasing that my little one is a total foodie like me and that food is all needed to keep us happy.
I have spoken about the goodness of brown rice few months ago and there has been a lot of dishes whipped in my kitchen with brown rice from then on. You can see more brown rice recipes here. Today’s brown rice-chicken cakes are one of the healthiest meal you could serve your family with. You can store the mixture for upto three days. It is quick and so very tasty for everyone from toddlers to adults. I have made these cakes as party appetizers. Arrange it neatly on a beautiful platter and scoop out little of the chili-mayo dip on top. Your guests will love the colors and the look of the dish.
BROWN RICE – CHICKEN CAKES / PATTIES
Makes: 20 small cakes / patties
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup minced chicken meat (boneless and skinless)
2 tablespoon shredded broccoli
2 tablespoon roasted bell peppers, finely chopped (store bought)
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds + 1 teaspoon for garnish
1/4 cup roasted walnuts or pistachios or cashews – chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves / kasuri meethi
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup panko or regular breadcrumbs + add more if needed
Olive oil to cook
Lemon zest for garnsih
1. Mix all the ingredients together and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
2. The following day make small patties out of it and cook on a saucepan for 5-7 minutes on each side. Drizzle little oil along the edges.
3. Let it crisp up and brown a bit. Remove and pack for lunch or serve right away with chili-mayo and garnish the cakes with lemon zest.
1. You can white rice instead of brown rice.
2. In case you don’t have bread crumbs at home, toast day old bread until crispy. Cool it to room temperature and grind it to a coarse powder. You can use this instead of panko or breadcrumbs. We just need an ingredient to soak up the moisture and make the cake crispy. Homemade breadcrumbs will do the trick. Infact you can also use Indian tea rusks or croutons. Since they are already dry and crunchy, all you can to do is grind them to coarse powder in a gringer or mixie.
CHILI MAYO DIP
1/4 cup low fat or regular mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon sriracha (add more if you like it spicy)
Mix and serve it with the cakes/patties.
1. Brown rice-chicken cakes can be eaten in phase 2 and 3 of South beach diet.
2. Also ideal for women with gestational diabetes. You can skip the panko or breadcrumbs and use roasted chickpea powder. Check this recipe for idea.
3. These cakes / patties can be eaten as a post work out snack by those who are on a weightloss journey.
0 0 100 0