Everyday as a mother I crack my head on what to make for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Oh! yeah! snacks too. Kids and adults get bored when the dishes gets repeated. So I always hunt for semi-homemade recipes so I can pick some ingredients on the way back home and create a simple yet addictive snack for my husband and kid.
When fig was in season, I froze the ripe ones for making jam during winter. Those plum juicy figs are a treat by itself but once we were saturated with eating them as such, I make chutneys, jams or cakes with it. Today I am sharing recipe for one of the easiest snack with figs. We will be using puff pastry sheets to make these puffs. I grew up in Indian and I am used to eating puffs only from bakeries. When I was a student in UK, my friend introduced me to puff pastry sheets. I was so thrilled to know that we can make puffs at home. Over the years, I have made vegetarian, chicken and egg puffs for my family. Recently I started adding fresh fruits or its preserve or chutney to make desserts. For this recipe, you can use mozzarella or brie or goat cheese. My son loves mozzarella cheese so I always buy them in bulk.
FIG-MOZZARELLA CHEESE PUFFS
Cooking Level : Easy
Recipe Source: Self
- 20 ripe fresh or frozen figs (if frozen, thaw them)
- 1/2 cup honey or sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Puff pastry sheets as needed
- 1 egg plus 2 tablespoon water for egg wash
For the fig preserve:
- In a large saucepan, add the figs, honey or sugar, salt, cardamom powder, turmeric powder and water. Cover with a fitting lid and cook on medium low flame for 15 minutes. Keep mixing to avoid figs sticking to the bottom. Let the figs cook and soften. Mash with the back of the spoon and let the syrup thicken. Check for sweetness. Add more honey or sugar if needed. Switch off the flame and let it cool completely. You can store them in an air tight container for upto a week in refrigerator.
For the puffs:
- Remove puff pastry from freezer and let it thaw at room temperature. This takes about 2-3 hours.
- Rinse and clean the figs. Chop them into small chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Gently unfold the puff pastry and cut them into squares (like the one show in the picture). Place a spoonful of fig jam in the center and add grated mozzarella cheese as per your liking. Fold them from the corners to form a packet. Place it in a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Using a pastry brush, apply egg wash over the puffs. Transfer to the oven and bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes depending on the heat of the oven. Serve hot.
- If you plan to serve it for dessert, you can cut them into half and serve with vanilla ice cream 🙂