Robert Louis Stevenson
My husband loves to eat these granola chunks as a snack and on some nights, I relish it with a glass of dessert wine. Coming to wine, I have written a detailed post about wine and south beach diet here. Drinking a glass of wine with cheese is our Friday night ritual. I started to drink red wine because my friends told me that its good for the skin. I can hear you laugh.Trust me, wine is good for you in a way. If you explore on how it is made? It is nothing but fermented grape juice and if you ask me, tasting it on a party or over a meal once a while is totally acceptable.
In the South beach diet cookbook, it says that “This tasty topping is meant to be enjoyed in tablespoon size servings on top of non-fat or low fat yogurt or fat free cottage cheese or part-skim ricotta”. So be a good girl/boy and don’t end up finishing the entire bottle. I know, they are really addictive and no one can stop with just 1 or 2 tablespoon.
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut ( you can find them as dessicated coconut in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup stevia (if following South beach diet phase 1) or use agave nectar/ coconut palm sugar or raw honey
- 2 tablespoon I cannot believe its butter (if following South beach diet) or unsalted regular butter or trans-free margarine
- 1/4 cup or more Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Soak walnuts, almonds and pecans in water for 4-6 hours
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Drain and rinse the nuts and pat dry them using a kitchen towel.
- Pulse the nuts to a coarse form in food processor.
- In the meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla essence and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Pour this chocolate mixture over the pulsed nuts and add sunflower seeds and salt. Stir well to combine and let the cocoa powder mix coat the nuts well.
- Cover the baking tray with parchment paper or foil. Spread chocolate nut mixture evenly over it.
- Bake at 200 degrees for about 4 hours straight. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- I served mine with cold milk.