Like avocado, tofu can also be mixed with whole wheat flour to make savory or sweet pancakes. They are available in the grocery store as soft, firm and extra firm tofu. I prefer extra firm tofu for dishes that needs to retain their shape while I use the soft/silken tofu to add to make pancake, roti or to gravies. I like to make soy dishes once a week.
Today I am sharing recipe for 1-2-3 Steps Tofu Bites. All you need for the tofu bite I created for one of my pop-up dinner are extra firm tofu, chaat masala, caramelized onions, sriracha and mayonnaise. Is that a super easy to start with?
Step 1 will be to crisp the tofu in hot oil. Once browned and pretty to look at, they are sprinkled with chaat masala
Step 2 is to caramelize the red onions with little salt until they turn brown and taste sweet
Step 3 is to beat sriracha ad mayonnaise together to form creamy srircha-mayo dip
Whenever I host a dinner party, there will one or two friends who will skip carbs and even I will be avoiding carbs so this dish will come handy on those nights. The carb lovers will get their share of bread, rice and naan and we will fill ourself with tofu bites, salad and fruits. I developed this recipe on such party and this will make to one of my future pop-up dinner.
1-2-3 Steps Tofu Bites
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil (used to cook tofu and also onions)
- 2 Cups Extra Firm Tofu cut into bite sized cubes
- 2 Tbsp Chaat Masala a pinch or so sprinkled over each tofu cube
- 1 Large Red Onions Thinly Sliced
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- Salt To Taste
- Heat couple of tablespoon of oil in a saucepan. Once hot, carefully place the tofu cubes and let it brown and crisp. It takes about 8-10 minutes on medium-low heat. Flip and let the other side cook for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl covered with kitchen tissue. Cook all the tofu bites and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a clean saucepan. Add the onions and sprinkle little salt. Cook covered in medium-low flame for 15 minutes until they brown and caramelize well. Set aside.
- Whisk sriracha with mayo. Add more sriracha if you like more spicy. Taste the dip and decide. Set aside.
- I served the appetizer as individual servings in ceramic spoons. Place one tofu cube in each spoon, sprinkle chaat masala, little salt —–> top with caramelized onions and sriracha-mayo.
- Tofu bites are super healthy as it is no carb so it is an ideal dish while following South beach diet phase 1.
- This can be eaten by pregnancy mothers who are diagnosed with gestational diabetes and also for those who are diabetic and pre-diabetic.
- Tofu bites will be a great appetizer to serve in a party as there will be someone who will like to eat something low carb or no carb in the party.
- This is a great dish to eat as a post workout salad. You can add crunchy lettuce, tomatoes and pickles to make it a complete meal.