A simple hot spicy soup just apt for this chilly weather. The lovely aromatic rasam masalas blends beautifully with the thick coconut milk and unfolds a perfect authentic mixture that is sure to tickle your taste buds. We either drink it as a soup or eat it with steamy rice.
A Coconut Based Stew – Thengai Paal Rasam
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 green chillies – slit lenghtwise
- 1 tsp rasam podi
- 500 ml water
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- Heat the ghee in a cooking pan. Add the whole masalas, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and stir for few seconds.
- Saute the onions till brown in the tempered oil. Add the chopped tomatoes with little salt and let them cook for a couple of min.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder. Cook till the raw smell disappears. It would take about 3-5min. Add the rasam podi and saute for another 3-5min. Add the water and bring them to boil.
- Simmer the flame for another 10min.Switch off. Now add the coconut milk and salt. Mix thoroughly and squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with soup sticks/pepper papads.