Appam with Thengai Paal – Tamil Breakfast
For the appam:
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1 cup boiled rice
- 1/4 cup urad dhal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- A pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 cup cooked Indian rice
Coconut Milk For Appam:
- Use store bought Thailand’s coconut milk or make fresh ones at home
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Soak the raw rice, urad dhal and fenugreek seeds in water for 4-6 hrs.Drain the water and first grind the urad dhal and fenugree to a fine paste. Remove and keep aside.
- Then grind the soaked rice with the required amount of water to a thick paste along with cooked rice.
- They should have a dosa-batter/pancake-batter like consistency. Mix in 1 tsp salt and let it ferment at room temperature overnight or leave it in the oven overnight.
- The next day add a pinch of baking soda and 1/2 tsp sugar.
- Heat a small appam kadai/non-stick kadai. Coat them with few drizzles of coconut oil the previois night itself. Spoon in 1 tbs of appam batter in the middle of the kadai and gently swirl the pan around to form a thin lacy layer over the sides. A thick layer will be formed at the centre. Drizzle drops of coconut oil along the sides.Cover with a lid and cook for about 2-3min. The edges will get released by itself along the sides. Remove and serve.
For the coconut milk:
- Grind the coconut shaving to a fine paste.
- Using the hands, squeeze out the water and keep aside. If necessary add little more water and grind them in the blender again.
- Repeat the same by squeezing out the water. Add coconut palm sugar to taste and finally add the cardamom powder.
Note: The sweetened coconut milk should not be too watery, so accordingly add the water when you grind them for the second time.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!