I always love having south Indian breakfast as they are fulfilling and have various options available. I have even shared some of my favorite recipes like kambu dosa, appam with thengai paal and to make the meal perfect, I have them with some of my favorite chutney like tomato chutney or mangai pachadi.
Upma is a nutritious breakfast or snack. We also eat it during lunch or dinner. With the various veggies added to it. It is a healthy dish. After sharing my arisi upma recipe, I decided to experiment more as I love having upma that’s when I came across bansi rava upma. Here, the Rava/steamed dough seasoned with mustard seeds, curry leaves, tomatoes, and onions plays an important role in creating the right flavor as the tomatoes bring out the tartness, and the onions impart the flavor.
Onions, beans, carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum, and other vegetables are commonly included in this dish. You may make it with just one vegetable or a variety of veggies. When cooked in water, onions will lose their pungent taste and impart a sweet taste to the bansi rava upma.
I enjoy it when the meal is brightly colored. Upma often elicits extremely powerful reactions. You either like it, or you don’t. If you don’t like upma, you haven’t had a nice one. Also, if you’ve ever been served cold and calloused, I can understand if you’re scarred for life.
Difference Between Bansi Rava And Regular Upma
Both types of semolina (Rava) are made from wheat, although they come from different cultivars. Bansi Rava is a deeper shade of semolina rava. Bansi rava is stone-ground wheat, according to my knowledge, but sooji rava is machine milled and polished, giving it the white color.
Bansi rava is a famous dish in Karnataka and other South Indian households. Both are used to make the South Indian dish “Upma” and the rava Kesari. Bansi rava has some fiber, which is extremely important in our diet.No matter what kind of upma you have, eat it right away, while it’s still hot! There’s no other option.
Bansi Rava Upma Recipe
- 1 & 1/2 cup bansi rava
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (peas, carrots, potatoes)
- 2 medium onions
- 1 medium tomato
- 3 tsp ghee
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 medium green leaves
- 3 & 1/2 cups water
- some turmeric powder & salt
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2 cloves
- 2 cinnamon
- 1 tsp bengal gram
- 5-6 cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp peanuts (optional)
- Depending on the type of Rava, whether roasted or raw, roast quantity in buttermilk and set aside.
- When you've finished cutting all the vegetables, you're ready to put in the kadai.
- Using cooking oil, heat a pan. Next, pull out the mustard seeds, and season them in the order listed.
- Once the walnuts have been thoroughly toasted, add the green chilies and chopped onion, and sauté until the onions are pink.
- For upma, the onion should not be dark. Add tomatoes, salt, and turmeric. Fry until the tomatoes are soft.
- After that, add the veggies that have been cut. Cook and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the water after the veggies are half cooked and bring to a boil. When you cover it, it cooks quickly.
- When the water begins to boil, reduce to a low heat and gently add the roasted Rava. To avoid lumps, mix well. Cook on a high flame for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- When everything is properly combined, add 2 tsp ghee, reduce to low heat, and cover to cook.
- Because the Rava is a larger grain, it takes approx 10 to 15 minutes to cook. In the meanwhile, make sure the steam doesn't return to the vessel by removing it. Stir in the remaining ghee.
- It may be completed in 15 to 20 minutes.
- This dish is really interesting as it has flavors of curry leaves and bay leaves, as well as spices. And it’s completely grainy and doesn’t get soggy.
- You need to take care of the peppers because the way you add them varies greatly. Long silk leaves will be less spicy than chopped in the middle, so take it easy.
- Bansi Rava upma is great for dieting as it has all the vegetables, and if you cut down on buttermilk which is really good fat, then nothing compares.
A properly prepared upma is non-sticky and flavorful because of the spices. This meal is easy to prepare. You can make fantastic sooji upma at home if you follow the recipe and ingredients perfectly, but if the measurements are wrong, it will turn into a goopy mess when you have time, roast rava in large quantities and save it for rava upma.
It is more time-efficient. Just follow all the instructions which are given above and prepare a lovely and tasty Bansi rava upma and share it with your family, friends, and loved ones. It was fun making the Bansi rava upma recipe. I’d love to know if you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to share your feedback and comments below.