The post for today is a simple rice delicacy made with the aromatic basmati rice and flavourful shahi jeera. The addition of ghee roasted cashes and raisins makes the dish taste absolutely delectable with spicy Indian curries. The sweetness from the soft raisins and onions balances brilliantly with the crunchy nuts and mild green chillies. This is a quick fix rice dish for parties/family dinners and is sure to impress your guests.
Basmatic rice cooked with cumin, raisins and cashewnuts
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- ½ tbs ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies slit
- 1 tbs shahi jeera
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup cashews
- 4-5 cups water plus excess for soaking
- 1 tbsp oil/butter/ghee
- Soak the basmati in bowl filled 3/4th with water for minimum 30minutes. Also soak the raisins in 1cup hot water for 15minutes. Drain water and set them aside.
- Heat oil/butter/ghee in a deep cooking pan. Once they are hot (don’t burn the oil), add the shahi jeera, cashews and swollen raisin and cook for 3-5 minutes till the cashews brown a bit. In the following order, add the green chillies, ginger-garlic paste and onions and cook for further 2-3 minutes. Add salt and let the onions soften further.
- Now add the soaked rice to the above mixture and give it a gentle mix. Don’t break the rice. Pour 4.5 cups water to the pan and cook covered on a low flame for 12-15 minutes. Turn off the flame and let it rest for minimum 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with spicy Indian curries/chips/ pappads.