we he talked and talked, I asked him to layer the potato, paneer and spinach over the whole wheat bread. I grilled it over pipping hot stove top skillet. We sat at the dining table, he on his favorite chair and me to next him. We ate the perfectly grilled bread which tasted perfectly crunchy and gooey. The crispy brown bread complemented so well with hearty potatoes, healthy spinach and cheesy paneer. Life is beautiful, I told him. As expected he aped whatever I said with a smile. “Yes, amma! You are beautiful”.
Bread Sandwich With Paneer and Potato Filling
- 4 whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup paneer or mozarella or any cheese of your choice, finely grated
- Ketchup to taste
For the potato filling:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 shallots or little red onion
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/4 cup potato, cooked and mashed
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Pinch of garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds and let it pop. Then add shallots or onions and saute for a minute. Throw in the ginger and mashed potato. Mix well to combine, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle cumin powder and garam masala. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- Take a slice of bread and place over the chopping board or a plate.
- Smear generous amount of the above made potato mash.
- Layer them with baby spinach and place paneer or any cheese after that. Squeeze out little ketchup. Cover with another slice of bread.
- Spray little oil over the hot grill or skillet. Grill over a pannini maker or simple stovetop skillet until the bread turns golden. Carefully cook them to get beautiful grill marks.