Butternut squash is a type of winter squash. They are in beautiful yellow color and the flesh is similar to the yellow pumpkins you find in India – orange and fleshy. The orange color is because of the carotenoids, i.e. high levels of beta-carotene. Our human body can automatically convert them to Vitamin A. Butternut squash can help to fight against breast cancer.
It taste sweet and nutty and grows on a vine.It is one of the ideal vegetable that could be used in all the phases of South beach diet. It is rich in Vitamin C, Manganese, Potassium and Magnesium. Since it is low in fat and rich in fiber, it is an excellent source of food for heart disease patients. My doctor recommended taking butternut squash often as the folate present in it boost healthy heart and helps to protect against brain and spinal cord related birth defects in babies. Also supports the development of healthy lung in fetuses and new born.
Butternut squash has high antioxidant content which thereby helps to lower inflammation in your body. Conditions like asthma, cancer and arthritis can help lower the chance of getting these diseases.It has been raining for the last few days and what more than a bowl of warm soup will comfort us on a cold night.Since it is a busy week for me and I have couple of unfinished business to finish over the weekend, I am heading straight to the post.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) butternut squash- peeled and seeded
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter ( I used olive oil, just 1 tablespoon)
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- 1 carrot – chopped
- 2 celery stalk – chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3-4 cups chicken stock (low sodium) or just plain water
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp silk tofu (beaten) with a teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot add oil. Add onion and chili powder and saute for 8 minutes. Then add the carrots, celery and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Add squash and stock/water. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Place in a blender and puree. Return blended squash to pot.
- Stir and season with garam masala, salt, and pepper. You could fold in the silken tofu to make the soup taste creamier.
- Transfer to a warm soup bowl and place a dollop of silken tofu on top.
- An ideal soup for South beach dieters.
- Excellent source of good nutrients for pregnant women and all the more perfect for women with gestational diabetes.
- Since I have used carrot in the cooking, the recipe is not ideal for South beach diet phase 1 dieters. Omit the carrot and cook.