- 1 cup walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups raw carrots finely grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For The Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer, just until blended with no lumps. Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, until fully incorporated and smooth. Finally beat in the vanilla extract and give it a complete mix.
For The Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9 x 2 inch cake pans with butter and dust with flour. Set them aside.
- Toast the walnuts for about 7-10 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In bowl with an electric mixer, beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (3-4 minutes). Slowly pour the oil into the bowl and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until well incorporated. With an wooden/ rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes, loosen the edges with a blunt knife and invert the cakes onto the wire rack, and then cool completely before frosting. Chill for 15-20 minutes for the frosting to set well.
Note: Since there are two baked cakes, we could layer the frosting like a sandwich and also on top and around the cake. Since we ate one cake without frosting, we layered other one with the frosting on top. Its up-to you to decide on that.