I had a lovely weekend with my cousins and aunts; we saw the much hyped movie of the season “SAROJA” (South Indian Movie – Tamil). As expected the movie was a thorough entertainer, and few scenes do drag you to the edge of the seat. Extremely witty one liners of all the characters were the highlight of the movie. Saroja has created a niche for itself and I would recommend it for people who want to have a good laugh throughout.
SAROJA = Awesome thriller with a great humor!!! 🙂
Coming to my recipe, I had cooked a very simple chicken curry. 1..2..3.. chicken, a hotty, gingery,peppery, garlicky soup is a very spicy gravy having a rasam like consistency.The pepper corns and green chillies add a beautiful flavor to the dish and also provides an extra heat to it. You can alter the taste according to your palate.
Chicken Rasam – A South Indian soup
- 250 gms chicken (cleaned and chopped; preferably ones with bone pieces)
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2 onions – diced
- 1 inch ginger
- 4-5 garlic pods
- 1 large tomato – cubed
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp cummin seeds
- 2 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 liter water
- 1/4 cup cilantro – chopped
- Grind the onions, green chillies, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and pepper corns to a fine paste.
- Heat the cooking pan to smoking hotness. Add the mustard seeds and let it pop. Then add the above made onion paste. Cook till the oil separates. Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and cook till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chicken and saute for 5-10minutes. Add water and curry leaves. Cook for 8-10 whistles. The chicken should be really soft and tender. Add salt to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve hot.
This yummy dish is a perfect accompaniment to rice and goes great with chicken fry. Wrap the meal with a glass of cold buttermilk. Sluurrrrrpppp!!!!! 🙂