Red Chard Dhal
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 curry leaves chopped
red onion chopped (can use vegetable chopper to easily chopped the vegetables)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch red chard chopped
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 cup yellow pigeon peas
- 1 packet Savoury choice vegetable broth concentrate
- 3 cups water
- ½ lemon juice
- Heat oil in a clean dry cooker base on medium flame. Once hot enough, add the curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds, let the flavour be infused into the oil. Then add the onions and little salt and cook for 5 minutes until they turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for couple of minutes.
- Then add the chard and let it wilt, about 3 -5 minutes. Mix to combine. Sprinkle the turmeric, chilli and coriander powder and saute for 2 minutes, until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth concentrate and water and stir to combine well. Cover with the lid, fix the whistle on the top and cook for 6-8 whistles. Once done, switch off the flame and let the pressure settle down. Remove the whistle and open the pan. Mix the contents well and add salt to taste and juice of a lemon. Check for taste, add little more lemon juice if needed.
- Ideal for dieters has the curry has low calories (probably less than 300 for a cup)
- It has enough greens which along with the lentils makes it fiber rich
- Also suitable for those in South beach diet.