Winter is here and so is the flu. My throat and chest is congested. Kids were sick then my husband and now me. All my family wants for a meal is steamy rasam and spicy curries. This will keep us warm inside out. One evening while I was chatting with my friends on WhatsApp, my close friend asked me for my chinthamani chicken recipe.
Oh chicken! How much I love you when all I can eat is proteins and no carb. I tasted this dish for the first time in my aunt’s house in Erode. I loved it and she said it tastes brilliant when made with lamb/mutton/goat chunks. This dish requires only three key ingredients to make and is definitely one of the easiest recipe ever. My husband loves to eat it with hot white rice and to wash the spice kick down he drinks cooling neer mooru (buttermilk).
It can also be served with Chapati/Roti. Now, I know that most of my readers have work and cooking rotis alonside other dishes can be tiring. Therefore, I’d like to suggest readers to read my articles ‘Best Chapati Dough Maker Machine in India‘ and ‘Best Roti Maker in India’ and consider buying the these appliances to reduce the work load in the kitchen.
As always I am back to share a quick and easy recipe with you all. I make this on week nights too and it takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Chicken chinthamani is a ideal dish for South Beach Diet and can be eaten in all the phase of SBD. But remember to skip carbs like rice, wheat in Phase 1. You can enjoy this curry with some yogurt drink and cucumber.
Chintamani Chicken Recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 20 – 25
Dry red chilliesplus more if you like it super spicy, broken to pieces
- 2 large Red onions Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 Pound (lbs) Boneless chicken thigh with bones but carefully slice the meat as this will leave enough oil to cook them, chopped into small cubes
- In a large wok, heat oil. Add dry red chillies and sauté till it chars a bit, about 10 minutes. Add the onions and salt. Cook till the onions caramelize, about 15 minutes on medium low flame.
- Throw in the chicken cubes and cook for 20 minutes. Don’t cover the wok with a lid. You will need to sauté after 20 minutes to let the chicken brown well and absorb the beautiful red color from the chillies. Keep sautéing until the oil separates from the sides and there is no water left in the wok. The chicken will be spicy food, juicy and moist. Enjoy with rice.
- Chinthamani Chicken is a great protein dish for phase 1 of South Beach Diet. I eat it with a glass of buttermilk and slices of cucumber.
- It can also be eaten by those who are diabetic/pre-diabetic.