Summer is here. So I look for all the possible means to sneak buttermilk or yogurt in our meal. I add cups of yogurt to our morning smoothies, a dash in popsicles and throw some in the marinades or vinaigrettes. I picked a bag of besan (gram flour) last week with the hope to make bhajjis (vegetable fritters).
I made a simple thick batter with besan and water. For taste, I added finely chopped onions, mashed garlic cloves, little chilli powder and salt. I deep fried them to perfection and mixed into yogurt that was diluted with little milk and water.It is one of the simple recipe to make for a party and it will be great side to go with rajma-chawal or roti. The deep fried besan is mixed with cold yogurt seasoned with salt,pepper and cilantro.My son helped me assemble the raita with the deep fried pakoda. You can turn it into a chaat by adding sev, cucumbers and sweet tamarind & green chutney.
For the pakoda:
- 1/2 cup besan / gram flour
- 1/2 cup water plus more if needed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup red onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
For the raita:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boondi (deep fried chickpea snack – available at Indian Grocery Stores)
- Mix the besan, onions, chili powder and garlic with water to form a thick batter. Pinch into small balls or any shape you like and deep fry in hot oil at 375F
- Cook until it browns, about 5-8 minutes on low flame. Remove using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Beat the yogurt with milk and water using a fork. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the pakodas before serving and garnish with cilantro and boondi
- Serve it with rice , curry or roti.