Green Gram Cooked in Jaggery and Cardamons
A 3-step dish, which can be whipped in no time. This is one of the most delicious snack made in any South Indian household. It will be a sure hit among kids. The mild sweetness from the jaggery blends so beautifully with earthly green gram and the cardamon infuses a beautiful aroma to it.
- 1 cup green gram
- 1 cup jaggery
- A pinch of salt
- 4 + 4 + 2 cups water
- Soak the green gram in a bowl containing 4 cups of water overnight.
- Drain the water next day, add 4 cups of fresh water and steam cook them for 2 whistles. Drain the water and set them aside.
- Heat a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring it to boil and add the crushed cardamons and finely grated jaggery. Stir it to dissolve them completely.
- Once they begin to get syrupy about 30 minutes, add the cooked green gram and give it a complete mix.
- Add a pinch of salt to enhance the sweetness of jaggery. Serve warm in a bowl.