Khichadi is a light, nutritious, and comforting food. To start with, it’s a complete meal in and of itself, with rice and lentils providing carbohydrates and protein, respectively. Most doctors recommend this dish as a “go-to” food for those who have gastrointestinal problems, a fever, or are otherwise ill.
You may be too tired to cook yet still crave something delicious and nutritious. You may prepare khichdi in a microwave in a few simple steps during those times. It won’t be any less tasty than cooking it on the stove or using other traditional methods. In this article, we’ll look at how easy it is to make khichdi in the microwave.
How To Make Khichdi In Microwave
We must first set the power level and time, as different power levels are needed for cooking. As a result, if you touch the power level button, it will display 100%. Set the timer for 3 minutes at 100% power. Increase the power level to 50% once more. Set the timer for two minutes. Set the timer for 15 minutes and increase the power level to 30%. If you are confused about the power settings being mentioned, I would recommend you to read our microwave guide to help you utilize your microwave.
- ¾ cup Mixed rice and green moong dal
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- Salt to taster
- Pinch of asafetida
- onion and tomatoes as per preference
- Combine the rice and dal and wash a few times with clean water.
- In a ceramic pot, combine the dal, rice, and 2.5 cups of water. There should be a hole in the lid of the container.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, asafetida, ginger, and oil in a large mixing bowl. Here you can add onion and tomato (optional).
- We're making it multistage + delayed cooking method, so put it in the microwave on the turntable and close the microwave door.
- First and foremost, set the clock to the exact time. 15 to 20 minutes is enough for it to cook thoroughly.
- We must first set the power level and time, as different power levels are needed for cooking. As a result, if you touch the power level button, it will display 100%. Set the timer for 3 minutes at 100% power. Increase the power level to 50% once more. Set the timer for two minutes. Set the timer for 15 minutes and increase the power level to 30%.
- After setting the power level and the time, press the clock icon to set the appropriate delay cooking time. Then press the go/start symbol to confirm the time.
- After setting the cooking time, the microwave oven clock will display the current time as usual.
- The khichdi will be ready in 20 minutes.
- Allow it to stand in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove the cookware from the microwave and give it a good stir. Cover it with a lid once more until it's time to eat.
2. How To Make Panchmel Khichdi in Microwave
Microwaved Panchmel Khichdi
- ¾ cup long-grained rice
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- ¼ cup onion cubes
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ cup turmeric powder
- 2½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ tbsp masoor dal
- ½ tbsp chana dal
- ½ tbsp yellow moong dal
- ½ tbsp toovar dal
- ½ cup cabbage
- ¾ cup cauliflower
- ½ cup potatoes peeled and chopped
- ½ cup green peas
- Clean and wash the rice and dal. Soak for 1 hour.
- Microwave for 1 minute on high with the ghee in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes with the cumin seeds, garlic, ginger, and onions.
- Add the veggies, rice, dal, and salt and 3½ cups of water to a microwave-safe bowl and mix well. Microwave on high for 20 minutes, stirring four times after every 5 minutes.
- Serve right away.
3. How to make Dum Moongdal khichdi in the microwave
Microwaved Dum Moong Dal Khichdi
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup moong dal
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- 4½ cup water
- salt to taste
- Clean the rice and moong dal separately at least 2-3 times.
- 2 tbsp butter, cloves, cinnamon stick, turmeric powder, rice, moong dal, stir well in a microwave-safe bowl
- Microwave the above dal and rice dish on medium for a minute without a lid.
- Add 4 ½ cup water, plus salt
- Microwave on high heat for 18 minutes with the cover on the bowl.
- Microwave the Khichdi for 5 minutes before serving.
- Because this is a complete meal, the preparation of the vegetables and seasoning only takes around 10-15 minutes of your time.
- The recipe for Dum Moong Dal Khichdi is light and easy to digest. This meal can be consumed by persons who are fasting to meet their nutritional needs. We can eat it right away with a scoop of cow ghee on top or with raita on the side.
- People who want to keep it simple can skip the veggies and add spices; such a meal is suitable for toddlers and can be prepared in under 20 minutes.
- Ensure that you use enough water to make this khichdi, since microwaves evaporate water. Using normal amounts of water might make the khichdi dry which is one of the disadvantages of using the microwave.
4. How To Make Sabudana Khichdi In Microwave
Microwaved Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 cup sago pearls small granules
- 1 potato chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp green coriander finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 green chilly
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 cup water to 1 cup sago pearls.
- Soak it in water for 1 hour.In a microwave-safe bowl, add oil and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Remove the bowl from the oven, stir in the cumin seed, and add the ginger, green chili, and potatoes. Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the oven and mash the potatoes to see whether they are tender. Add the soaked sago pearls, chilly red powder, and peanuts, and thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Add ¼ cup of water to it. Return the bowl to the microwave and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir the khichdi with a spoon. In the khichdi, add green coriander and lemon juice. As a standing time, cover the bowl and leave it alone for 5 minutes. It will give an extra flavor to the khichdi.
- The sabudana khichdi is done. Serve the sabudana khichdi while it's still hot.
Using the microwave to make khichdi saves a lot of time and energy. It’s made with the same ingredients as a stovetop Khichdi. We understand that you might still want to use your stove top to make Daliya Khichdi or any other khichdi, but we would suggest you to try the microwave once before you dimiss this method. Remember to use the proper proportions of ingredients and use caution when using the microwave. I hope you found this post helpful in learning how to make khichdi in the microwave.