Raw mango rice / mangai sadam is a very easy to make rice variety. This raw mango rice is a quick and easy lunch option. It is tangy and its preparation is very similar to that of lemon rice. This raw mango rice gets its tanginess from mangoes. This dish can also be prepared with leftover rice.
mangoes are in full swing and this is a popular mango recipe and I have been planning to share this for a long time, but in spite of taking the mangai sadam pictures, I couldn’t share it. So sharing this popular rice recipe with mango.
Raw mango rice is also known as mangai sadam or mamidikaya pulihora.
raw mango rice can also be packed for lunch along with some papad. I served it with homemade ari kondattam. You can also serve it with any side dish of your choice, but I always love it plain with papad.
Raw Mango Rice Recipe | Mangai Sadam
- 1 cup cooked rice
- ¾ cup grated raw mango
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp chana dal
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ½ tbsp peanuts
- few curry leaves
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 2 nos. dry red chilies
- 1 nos. Green Chili
- 1 pinch hing or asafoetida
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Wash the mango well and peel the skin. Grate it and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, chana dal, urad dal and roasted peanuts. Saute till dal turns golden brown. Add dry red chili, chopped green chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add grated mangoes, turmeric powder, salt, and saute the mangoes in medium flame for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, the required amount of salt, mix gently. The rice should not become mushy.
- Raw mango rice is ready to serve.