The Idli Podi Recipe is a tasty and easy-to-make idli with gun powder. Idli Podi is Idli mixed with milagai podi or gun powder. Along with the Idli Podi Recipe, we will also be showing you how to make the Idli Milagai Podi. Idli Milagai Powder is the chutney powder that is used to make Idli Podi.
A recipe as simple to make as this has many variations depending on the locality of the neighborhood and what is available close by. However, in this article, we will be showing you how to make the traditional Idli Milagai Podi. If you want to make the
Idli Podi can also be served as a snack or can also be packed in a kid’s lunch box. The amount of milagai podi you use to make Idli Podi will depend on how spicy you want your Idli to be. I add more when I make for myself and reduce the amount when I make for kids. I have used homemade idli podi. If it is not available, you can also make use of store-bought idli podi mix.
Idli Milagai Podi Recipe
dry red chillies
- 1 cup urad dhal (white lentils)
- 1/2 cup channa dhal (black gram)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida chunks (solid variety) or powder
- 1/2 cup horse gram – Kollu/ sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a kadai and cook the solid asafoetida first. If using the powder, we can use it at a later stage.
- Saute each ingredient separately in oil and cool them. Make sure that you don’t burn them. Always have an eye when you saute them. It will take about 5-8 minutes to roast each lentil.
- Once cooled, grind them into a fine powder.
- Adjust salt to taste (use rock salt – if possible).
- Store in a clean air tight container. Enjoy the delicious podi with idli/dosa.
Idli Podi Recipe
- 15 – 20 Mini Idli
- 2 tbsp Idli Posi
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 4 – 5 Cashew Nuts
- ½ tsp Chana Dal
- 2 tbsp Onion Finely Chopped
- Curry Leaves Chopped
- 2 tbsp Carrot Grated
- Salt To Taste
- To make idli podi, first, make mini idli. Check this post to make soft idli. If you don't have mini idli plate, you can use the regular idli plate. After making idlis, cut into pieces.
- Add the prepared idli into a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of idli podi, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil becomes hot enough, splutter mustard seeds. Add chana dal, cashew nuts, and saute for a few seconds till the dal starts changing color.
- Add in finely chopped onion, torn curry leaves and saute well till the onion turns translucent.
- Add the grated carrots, salt, and saute for a few more minutes till the carrots get cooked.
- Add the idli, one tablespoon of idli podi, mix well. Mix carefully. Turn off the flame.
- Idli Podi is ready. Serve hot.