Chaat is one dish which every Indian will crave for and this is something which we have all grown up with. I remember eating samosa channa, pav bhajji, or gobi manchurian in KVR chetta’s shop during my school days. Flocks of my fellow school mates will visit this little shop after school hours and scream out the dishes standing in the bicycle.
Today’s post will help my readers make easy and tasty home made chaat in no time. The chutney made from simple dishes is sure to create a complex flavour in every mouth. The sweetness and spicyness comes from two exotic chutney and that adds a brillaint touch to the dish. They are so simple to make it at home. I generally make them in good quantities and store them in an air-tight container. You could use them to make bhel puri, sev puri, masala puri, samosa-channa, dahi papadi chaat.
Chaats are generally served with hot steamy chai (tea). Chaat and chai are the best ever pair – Rab ne bana di jodi! (means A match made by God in Hindi). I love chaat. Make them, store them have them handy all the time!
The green chillies and ginger add a flavourful touch to the chutney while the mint &; coriander leaves creates a wonderful tatse and lovely green colour to it. This spicy chutney is well neutralized by the sweetness and tanginess of the sweet chutney. The addition of cummin, chilli and coriander powder adds a extra texture to the dish. I am sure you can create yummy chaats for kids and they would crave for more.
Indian Sweet And Spicy Chaat Chutney Recipes
- 1 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves chopped
- 3-5 green chillies
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp ginger chopped
- 1 tsp Vinegar optional
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Jaggery
- ½ lemon size tamarind (deseeded)
- 1 cup dates deseeded
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- Wash the coriander, mint leaves, ginger, green chillies in running water and grind them with water,vinegar, salt and lemon juice to a fine paste . Check for salt and store it until use. Keep them refrigerated.
- Throw in all the ingredients in a vessel boiling with water. Simmer and cook them for 30-45 mins. Once done, remove from flame and cool. Grind them into a fine paste and store it in the refrigerator until use. I made Sev Papadi one day (recipe below) and served it with chai.
Sev Papdi Recipe
- 10-12 papadi
- 3 tbsp Sev/Gram
- 1 tbsp Haldiram Aloo Bhujia
- ½ cup cucumber finely chopped
- ½ cup potato
- ½ tbsp cooked channa mashed
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ tbsp coriander leaves
- Remove a clean serving platter and place 8 papadis in a row.
- Place 1/4 tsp mashed potatoes, 1/4 tsp mashed channa, 2 cucumber cubes, little onions, few tomato chunks slowly one-by-one. Sprinkle the sev and aloo bhujjia on top. Place little corainder leaves on top. Pour in the chutney’s on top. Serve immediately.