What you will find in this post?
- Shopping List for the week 1
- Lessons learned
- A summary of the lunch I packed for my kindergartener on the first week of his school.
I have been telling myself to pack mostly homemade, healthy food to nourish the growing body. I pack 3-4 snacks along with substantial lunch as our pick time is between 06:00-06:30 PM. In this week, I created menu with left overs from my Feastly dinner too. Lessons learned:
- Don’t over pack the lunchbox. My son is a slow eater so this food is a lot for him. He will turn 6 soon.
- Pack food that stay fresh longer. For instance, orange can be peeled before eating, crackers stay good until snack 2 which will be 03:00 PM.
- For cheese, I put them in the freezer when I wake up and drop it in their bag when we are ready to leave
- Steam the brocolli crunchy and not too soggy. If its undercooked, it remains crunchy. My kids were trained in school to eat it raw.
Essentials for the kid’s journey at school 🙂:
Label everything with your child’s first and last name as per teacher’s requirements
- Luncbox from amazon (I purchased 2)
- Lunch bag
- Water bottle
Shopping List for Week 1
From your pantry:
- Rice or Jasmine Rice
From local grocery store:
- Cheese stick
- Cheese crackers
- Open Nature Chicken Deli
- Pasta Sauce (tomato)
- Dehydrated Vegetable Chips
From farmers market:
- Cabbage, Carrot, Zuchini
- Onions, Garlic, Ginger and Tomatoes
Week 1 Lunchbox Summary
Week 1, Day 1 In his Lunchbox:
- Snacks for the day : Cheese stick,Banana and crackers
- Lunch: Mixed vegetable pasta , cucumber and orange
Week 1, Day 2 In his Lunchbox:
- Snacks for the day: Cheese stick, Crackers in the tiny box, banana
- Lunch: Hummus-Pesto chicken deli + cucumber sandwich with whole wheat bread, orange. I placed small ice pack below the aluminum foil so chicken remains fresh. You can skip chicken and add roasted bell pepper or tomato.
Week 1, Day 3 In his Lunchbox:
- Snack 1: Cheese stick, Nectarine, Cheese crackers
- Lunch: Bird’s nest – potato Patty with spices and topped with cooked peas (left over from my cooking event), steamed broccoli, orange
Week 1, Day 4 In his Lunchbox:
- Snacks for the day: Babybel cheese, Cheese crackers
- Lunch: Sticky jasmine rice shaped with cookie cutter with a drizzle of soy sauce and I topped it with cabbage salad & fennel seeds- peas stir fry, Gulab jamun cheesecake (left over from my cooking event) and orange
Week 1 , Day 5: In his Lunchbox:
- Snacks for the day: Babybel cheese, dehydrated vegetable chips
- Lunch: Rice with peas-cheese coconut curry (left over from our Thursday’s dinner), cabbage-carrot salad (made fresh), Gulab jamun cheesecake and orange
Never miss my posts on weekly menu planning, weightloss tips and kid friendly recipes, food science and much more! Subscribe to my blog by entering your email address. Thank you and Vanakkam!