Today I am sharing recipe for bread sandwich made with spinach pesto and mushroom. Spinach is my most favorite green. It has a neutral taste and they blend so well in pasta, rice, quinoa and even smoothies. I always have a box of baby spinach at home. I made this pesto with roasted pistachios. You can also use walnuts or almonds or pine-nuts or macadamia or little bit of everything. It is a simple sandwich which can be made within 10 minutes. On work nights, this sandwich can be served with either hot soup or fresh salad. You can also pack it for your little one’s lunchbox.
As a family we love pesto. We use it as a spread, dip and sauce to coat pasta. You can always find pesto in my freezer. I make pesto with spinach, cilantro, mint, basil, roasted bell pepper or combination of them. They freeze pretty well. Today’s recipe will yield a large batch of pesto. You can use whats required and freeze the remaining for future use. If you plan to freeze it, please make sure not to add cheese to it. You can thaw the pesto and add cheese while making your dish. In today’s recipe I have used mushroom as a protein source to coat the pesto. You can use shredded chicken or turkey, tuna, paneer or mozzarella cheese too. Just use any protein your kid enjoys.
Bread Sandwich With Spinach Pesto and Mushrooms
For the pesto ( use whats required and freeze the remaining for future use)
- 1/2 pound spinach (makes 9-10 cups)
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios (unsalted)
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 lemon juice plus its zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the sandwich
- 8 whole wheat bread slices
- 1/2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
For the pesto:
- Pulse spinach leaves, garlic, pistachios, lemon juice, lemon zest, little oil and a little oil in blender or food processor container. Add little spinach and little water or oil each time to help with blending.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the corner and help to combine the pulsed mixture.
- Add grated parmesan cheese and process until spinach pesto mixture is smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
For the sandwich:
- Heat a skillet.
- Mix required amount of spinach pesto with mushroom. Set aside.
- Discard the corners of the bread. Smear the mushroom mixture over one side of the bread and place another slice of bread on top.
- Once hot, grill the sandwich till golden brown over the skillet or use a pannini maker to toast it.