Lauki ki sabzi recipe – is a tasty and easy to make curry with lauki or bottle gourd. Lauki is also called as dhudhi in Marathi, Ghiya in Punjabi and bottle gourd in English. It is very easy to prepare lauki ki subzi and it tastes great with chapati, roti or phulka.
I made this lauki ki subzi on gas stove but you can also cook it in a pressure cooker. Sometimes, I add a potato along with this and make aloo lauki ki sabzi.
Take care to select a good quality of lauki or bottle gourd for making lauki ki sabzi. It should be soft and tender. Hard bottle gourds take a long time to cook and it will be bitter. To check whether the bottle gourd is tender or not, just press the outer skin with your fingers. If it is tender and fresh, then your nail will easily pierce the lauki, but if you can’t, then it is an overripe one.
After peeling and cutting the lauki, remove the seeds that are very hard. The soft seeds can be used for making curry.
In this recipe of lauki ki sabzi, I have added a mixture of ghee + oil. But you can temper in ghee alone. Lauki tastes great with ghee tempering.
Lauki Ki Sabzi Recipe
- 3 cup bottle gourd
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 nos. Onion
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 nos. Green Chilly
- 3/4 cup Tomato
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 cup Water
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves
- Wash and clean the bottle gourd. Chop them into small pieces. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil and ghee together. Splutter mustard seeds, add cumin seeds and wait till it splutters.
- Add slit green chili and asafoetida powder.
- Then add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste and saute well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and saute well till the tomatoes become mushy and the raw smell of masala goes off completely.
- Add the bottle gourd or lauki pieces, saute well.
- Add water and bring it to boil.
- Add water and bring it to boil.Add salt if necessary.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame, cover and cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until bottle gourd gets cooked well.
- If you feel that the water is more, then keep the flame in high and dry the excess water and bring to desired consistency. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve lauki ki sabzi with chapati, roti or phulka.