Lemon rice is one of the easiest Indian dish and they are so subtle in flavor but exotic in taste. Every working parent will fix this as a lunch box menu at least on one day of the week. They are so easy to fix and goes great even with simple store-bought chips.
I would like to have my lemon rice with potato curry or egg curry (recipe here) or chicken dry fry. Here is the recipe for the divine rice dish.
Lemon Rice – A South Indian Delight
- 2 cups cooked rice – Cold
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 lemon (yellow) – juice
- 1 inch ginger – chopped
- 3 green chillies – slit
- 1-2 tsp asafoetida
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp urad dhal
- 1/2 tbsp peanuts
- 1/4 tbsp cashewnuts (optional)
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a kadai. Once they get heated up, throw in the mustard and let it splutter. Then add the urad dhal, ginger,asafoetida, curry leaves, green chillies and saute for couple of minutes.
- Now add the peanuts and cashewnuts and cook for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt and lemon zest and give a complete mix. Cook till the raw smell disappears.
- Turn the flame off and squeeze the lemons. Check for salt.
- Add the cold rice and mix well.
- Serve warm with chips/ any vegetable fry/ egg curry /dry chicken curry.