Khichdi is one of the safest food to give kids above 12 months of age. Infact, I have given this to my son when he was around 11 months. If you are a mother who wants to explore your little one’s taste bud, you can give this dish as early as 10 months too. The recipe is simple and can be made quickly in a pressure cooker. Today I have made a delicious khichdi using cracked wheat, mung dhal and masoor dhal (red lentils). The lentils give it a beautiful creamy texture which helps the baby to swallow it with ease. For my three year old son, I prepared this dish by tempering hot olive oil with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. For little heat, I used one finely minced green chily. I used a wide variety vegetables including carrots, beans, frozen peas, cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage. The dish has what we need for a nutritious meal. It has got whole grain (cracked wheat), protein from lentils and fiber from vegetables.
You can replace daliya with brown or white rice grits, quinoa or oats. It tastes the same as all the lovely ingredients get mashed together. They turn to be the most aromatic kid’s dish ever. You can serve it with cucumber raita. We can improvise the recipe for adults by adding whole spices like cardamons, cloves, bay leaves and also generous amount of ginger and garlic paste.
In the lunchbox: You can pack cracked wheat khichdi topped with dollops of homemade ghee (recipe here) and a serving of fruit (baby banana) for dessert and peanut brittle (peanut chikki) or cheese crackers for snack.
Cracked Wheat | Daliya Khichdi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida / hing / perungayam
- 1 green chilly – finely chopped or minced (optional)
- 1 cup vegetables (carrots, beans, cabbage, frozen peas, cauliflower and broccolli)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat / dalia, washed and cleaned
- 1/4 cup masoor dhal, washed and cleaned
- 1/4 cup mung dhal, washed and cleaned
- 5 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Ghee to serve
- 1 pressure cooker with a whistle
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan. Once hot, add mustard seeds and let it pop. Then add cumin seeds, asafoetida and green chily. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetables and turmeric powder.Saute for a minute.
- Add cracked wheat, mung dhal and masoor dhal. Pour 5 cups water and salt. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Remove and drizzle ghee before you serve