Memorial day is a federal holiday observed in the United States on the last Monday of May month. It become an official holiday in 1971. The day marks the remembering of men and women who have died while serving the United states armed forces. Memorial day was officially proclaimed on 5th May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the republic and for the first time it was observed on 30th May 1868. New York was the first state to officially recognize the holiday in 1873.Decoration day was the original name to this day and it originated in the years following the Civil War. Many Americans observe this day by visiting cemeteries and participating in parades. Every city/town across United States hold parades, including military personnel and war veterans. But over the years since the Congress made it a three day long weekend holiday, the actual spirit of celebrating the day has diluted. Since it marks the start of summer season, many throw parties and barbecues on this day.
Here are few tips to get the grilling go right:
- Buy a good quality cooking spray. Apply a light coat of cooking oil prior to lighting the grill. You need to spray the oil before you switch on the grill. Please don’t spray it on a hot grill as the oil can cause flame ups and severe ones can cause injury too.
- We bought a webber gas grill last summer and I would recommend gas grill over charcoal ones and also webber will be my choice of grill anyday. I am in love with my three burner webber gas grill and I am so glad that I invested on a long lasting one.
- Most gas grills have an igniter switch for lighting the burners. First turn on the gas at the tank, then turn one burner valve on and push the igniter button to light it. Since today we grilled chicken, fish and corn at the same time, the temperature has to be maintained high.
- Before placing the food, switch on three burners and close the lid and let the temperature rice gradually to 500F. Once it has reached the desired temperature, switch off 1 or 2 burners (its your choice).
- Using a kitchen tissue/ hand towel dipped in little oil, I rub the hot crates with it. Then place my meat, corn and fish and cook them for 8 minutes without any disturbance. Constant opening of the lid we change the cooking temperature. So try not to open the lid often. Play around with the burners if the temperature goes high or low.
- Once done on one side, flip it over and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until done. You want the meat to be tender and juicy.
- After cooking, turn of the burners and gas tank. Clean using lemon wedges before you wrap the grill. Maintaining a clean grill is key for long lasting grill.
- Marinate the meat/seafood a day ahead for better taste. I prefer marinades to have a thick consistency, so I use minimum amount of water.9. For regular users, I would recommend investing on a sturdy BBQ tool kit and also on few accessories like fish basket grill, meat thermometer, basting brush.
Grilled Indian Chicken
- 8 chicken Thighs
- 1 egg
For The Marinade
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paster
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Mix the ingredients under the marinade section and set aside.
- Beat one egg and mix with the marinade.
- Using a paring knife, make small incisions on the chicken. Using hand massage the marinade over the chicken thighs.
- Cover the container and let it refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Before you begin to grill, bring the chicken back to room temperature.
- Pre-heat the grill and once the temperature reaches 500F, place the chicken and cook covered for 8-10 minutes on each side. Check for doneness before you serve.Serve hot with onion slices and mint chutney.
Grilled Mackerel With Indian Spices
- 8 whole mackerel cleaned, pat dried
For The Marinade
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- ½ tbsp tamarind pulp
- ¼ cup water
- Mix the ingredients under marinade section and set aside. Add water if needed to get the desired consistency.
- Rub them inside and outside of the fish and let it rest in the refridgerator for 6-8 hours / overnight.
- Pre-heat the grill to 450 F and cook the fish using a basket grill. This prevents fish from breaking up. Cook 8 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Grilled Sweet Corn With Indian Spices
- 4 large sweet corn cleaned, pat dried
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- ½ lemon
- In a bowl, add the butter stored at room temperature. Mix in chilli, coriander powder and salt and squeeze little lemon juice.
- Using the head of the lemon, massage the butter mixture over the corn and cook them for 6-8 minutes on each side. Before you serve, rub the roasted corn with the lemon head to add more zestfulness to it.
- Since we have grilled the fish with minimum oil, they are an ideal side for South beach diet phase 1.
- Grilled chicken used here was made with chicken thighs which can be eaten in Phase 2 and 3 of South beach diet. You can follow the same recipe and cook with chickn breast and that is allowed in phase 1.
- Grilled fish, chicken and corn are perfect while on a weightloss journey.