When I see a bunch of mint leaves lying peacefully in the corner shelf of my grocery store, images of sorbet garnished with curly sprigs of mint leaves or a lemonade jar filled with mint leaves and lemon roundels or chilling taste of my mouthwash comes by my mind. The menthol present in it gives the cool and refreshing taste.
You can find chopped mint leaves used for garnishing at the end of cooking, it is used in soups, desserts, curries, rice, treat health and skin problems. Mint is native to Mediterranean and Western Asian countries where there are full sun, which helps it grow well. Overcooking can make them taste bitter and always fresh mints are used in salads. Leaves could be dried and stored frozen for its use in winters.
Mint Rice Recipe
- 1 cup Mint Rice Recipe
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- Powdered rock salt to taste
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 red/green chilli
- 1-2 tsp cow’s ghee
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 5 black pepper corns
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Strain and set aside. I soaked mine for 30 minutes.
- Grind the ingredients of the paste adding little water to form a thick paste.
- In a pressure pan, heat ghee and add the ingredients of the tempering. When they begin to crackle and let out their aroma, add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the paste and cook for further 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice, saute for a minute and add 1.5 cups (if soaked for 30 minutes) or 2 cups water with salt. Pressure cook for 1 whistle or if using a large cooking pan, cook covered in low flame for 15 minutes.
- Allow steam to settle down and gently fluff the rice with a fork and serve fresh with raita.
- Serve with vegetarian or any dry non vegetarian curry and raita.
SUKHAM AYU COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY DETAILS:
This giveaway is open worldwide. To enter, simply do as many of the following as you want and let me know that you did it by leaving a separate comment each time. Please also make sure to leave your contact email for me to reach you if you win. The giveaway will close on September 23rd at midnight, and the winner will be announced shortly after that. Best wishes!