Pathirpeni is originally from Karnataka and I just adore it. Most of the time (naah!! may be all the time) people seem to confuse this with Paal poli (deep fried flat bread soaked in sweet condensed milk). Most of my friends have not heard about this dish.
Pathirpeni – Indian dessert
- 1 Packet Pathirpeni
- 1/2 cup nuts (Almonds, Pistachios and Cashews) – chopped (Save some for garnish)
- 1 tsp Cardamon powder
- 1000 ml whole milk
- Sugar to taste
- 10-12 Strands Saffron
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- Warm 1/4 cup milk and place the saffron strands. Set aside.
- Bring the milk to boil and once they boil, lower the flame and cook for 30 minutes until they reduce to half. Allow the milk to thicken a bit.
- Now add the crushed cardamoms or cardamon powder and nuts. Now slowly add the sugar and mix thoroughly. Simmer it for next 5 minutes. Keep a cup of remaining milk aside.
- Now take a serving bowl,preferably small one. Place the Patherpeni and pour the thick milk on top. Let the peni soak in the liquid well. Garnish with the nuts and serve immediately.
- Note:Don’t cook the milk till they go really thick, not too thick or not too thin.