Rajasthani kadhi recipe is a Rajasthani dish made with yogurt and besan or gram flour. This kadhi recipe is very easy to prepare and pakoras are not added to it.
Kadhi is a dish made with yogurt and besan or gram flour as the main ingredient and very mildly spiced. Yogurt based dishes are very popular in India and is made on a regular basis in Indian homes.Though the name may differ from kadhi in North and moru kootan or mor kuzhambu in the South. Whatever be the name, it is very tasty and healthy. Yogurt are considered to be best cooler especially during summer season.
Usually, I make moru kachiyathu which is a simple buttermilk curry from Kerala, whenever I feel lazy to cook or want to make something in a hurry. But nowadays, I make this rajasthani kadhi whenever I am in a hurry. Thanks to blogging, it has introduced me to a lot of new cooking styles. It is healthy and protein packed due to addition of gram flour. I find it more easy as there is no need of making pakodas. But there is another version of rajasthani kadhi called as rajasthani pakoda kadhi in which gram flour fritters are added at the end. The method of preparing kadhi varies from place to place. There are various kadhi versions available like gujrati kadhi, punjabi kadhi pakoda, sindhi kadhi, and so on. Though the name is same, and main ingredient is also same, there are many differences in the ingredients used for making these kadhi. Recently I made sindhi karhi, where tamarind was also used.
Moreover, this rajasthani kadhiis a no onion no garlic recipe.
I serve kadhi with jeera rice. At home everyone loves that combination. Earlier, when I make jeera rice, my daughter asks me to make dum aloo, but now I make this easy kadhi. You can also serve rajasthani kadhi with phulka or with steamed rice.
Rajasthani Kadhi Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Gram Flour / Besan
- 1 nos. Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp Oil / ghee
- 2 nos. Dry Red Chilly
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Methi Seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 small Bay Leaf / tez patta
- In a pan, add curd, besan, water and mix well without lumps.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, salt, green chilies, mix it well.
- Cook in low flame for 5 – 6 minutes until gram flour gets cooked well and kadhi thickens a little.
- Turn off the flame and keep aside. In another pan, heat oil.
- Splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Saute for a second.Add dry red chili and asafoetida powder or hing.
- Saute well. Turn off the flame.
- Wait for a minute and then pour the tempering over the kadhi. Mix well.
- Cover and keep aside for few minutes so that the flavors get locked in the curry.
- Kadhi is ready. Serve rajasthani kadhi with rice or phulka.