What will you find in this post?
- Steps to make salad stuffed idli
Idli is a staple breakfast dish in almost every South Indian’s home. I wrote a detailed post on idli here where I have shared the recipe that is common for most of us. I have also shared a recipe for whole grain / multi grain idli here. I have been sharing snapshots of #inhislunchbox posts in Facebook and Instagram. Today I shared the picture of purple-green cabbage salad stuffed idli and there were so many mothers who reached out to know the steps.
I made my basic cabbage-carrot salad and steamed the idli by following the below steps:
- Smear oil to the idli plates
- Place 1-2 tablespoon idli batter. You should fill the idli plates 1/3 full with the batter. Please plan in a way that there is room to add the salad and then the batter
- Then gently place the cabbage-carrot salad (the trick is to chop them really thin using a food processor and small so it gets soft while steaming)
- Top it with another layer idli batter
- Steam it for 15 minutes
- Once cooled, gently remove and serve with chutney or sambhar
- Don’t remove the idlies immediately. It might break apart. Wait for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle water and then remove it.
Never miss my posts on weekly menu planning, weightloss tips and kid friendly recipes, food science and much more! Subscribe to my blog by entering your email address. Thank you and Vanakkam!