What you will find in this post?
- Indian tapa style salad recipe
- Skip the samosas and it will be a perfect no carb/low carb salad recipe (South beach diet phase 1)
- Add just 1-2 tiny samosas and make it ideal for gestational diabetes.
The farmer’s market is flooded with all kinds of green leafy vegetables. I always pick a bunch of Romaine lettuce from Brother’s Ranch, Fresno. The vendor always wears a beautiful smile when I see her and that makes the whole shopping experience pleasant for me. May be thats one of the reason for me to go back to her shop every week.
I have been developing recipes that is made with local ingredients and Indian spices. I came up with this recipe few weeks back. I had left over wonton wrappers and decided to go with Indian potato filling. The mini samosa made with wonton wrapers were super crunchy and I decided to add it to a salad with seasonal ingredients. This colorful salad has lettuce, winter melon raddish, roasted butternut squash, shrimp and I topped it with spicy cilantro chutney mixed with mayonnaise and yogurt. This is one of the most delicious Indian inspired salad I have eaten so far. As it was uber tasty, this made its way to my pop-up dinner.
I chose wonton wrappers as they are readily available and they make the samosa super crunchy for the salad. If you cannot find them, you can use pizza dough or homemade all purpose flour dough as well. You can also use spring roll shells. Both wonton wrappers, puff pastry or spring roll shells are easily available in frozen section of the grocery store.
Samosa Bites Indian Salad
For The Samosa Bites
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Potatoes Cubed
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ¼ cup Frozen Green Peas
- ½ cup water
- Salt To taste
- ½ cup Cilantro Chopped
- 20 Wonton Wraps Thaw at room temperature
For The Salad
- 10 Romaine Lettuce Leaves Chopped
- 1 Cup Chopped Winter Melon Radish
- 1 Cup Roasted Butternut Squash cubed and roasted in a cast iron pan for 20 minutes with coconut oil and 1/4 cup water
- Handful Shrimp
- ½ Cup Red Onions Chopped
- 10 Grape Tomatoes Halved
- Handful Cooked Shrimp (Tiny)
For The Samosa Bites
- Heat oil and once hot, add the cumin seeds and sauté for a minute. Throw in the potatoes, garam masala, peas and water. Cook covered for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are well cooked. Switch off the heat and mash them to a smooth puree with the back of the spoon or hand-masher. Once cooled, add cilantro and salt. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan to 375F.
- While oil heats, start working with the wonton wrapper. I used 10x10cm wonton wrapper squares. They were perfect to make bite sized samosas. Place the potato filling in the centre and smear it over the wonton wrapper leaving the little space along the corner. Fold from one corner to another to form a triangle. Seal the edges with water. Make 20-25 samosas and set aside.
- Deep fry them until brown and crispy.
For The Salad
- Slice the butternut squash (without the skin and seeds) into small cubes. Heat about a tablespoon of coconut oil and roast the butternut in a cast iron pan with water until cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Remove and let it cool.
- Mix the ingredients listed under “salad dressing” and set them aside
- In a small serving bowl, place the crunchy lettuce, pickled winter melon radish, butternut squash, onions, tomatoes shrimp and broken samosas. Drizzle the dressing on top. Serve immediately.