Ssoya chunks pepper fry recipe / Meal maker pepper fry is a tasty and easy to make side dish with soya chunks or meal maker which can be served as a side dish for lunch.
I always make soya chunks fry with garlic flavor which is very easy to make and can be had as a snack also. But recently I tried making this soya chunks pepper fry in the same way we make Kerala style beef fry. I don’t make beef fry, but always love the way it is made with coconut bits and pepper. This soya chunks pepper fry is very tasty and can be had as such or with steamed rice.
Soya chunks also called as meal maker or soya nuggets is very much used in Indian foods and is considered as a best protein suppliment for vegetarians. This soya chunks pepper fry is so tasty and easy to make that can be served with some simple pepper rasam and hot steaming rice.
How to make Soya Chunks Pepper Fry
Soya Chunks Pepper Fry or Meal Maker Pepper Fry Recipe
- 2 cups soya chunks
- 1 big onion
- 6-7 shallots
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp coconut bits
- 1 green chili
- 1 dry red chili
- few curry leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1½ tsp pepper powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds or perumjeerakam
- 2 cardamom or elaichi
- 4-5 cashew nuts (broken into bits)
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp oil
- Boil water in a pan. When water starts boiling, turn off the flame, add the soya chunks, cover and keep it aside for 15 – 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, wash the soya chunks twice or thrice in clear water, squeeze out the excess water and keep it aside.
- Cut coconut into bits. Keep two to three big pieces of coconut and the rest should be small bits.
- Chop onion, and shallots, ginger, garlic and keep aside.
- Slit green chilies and dry red chili and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds.
- Reduce the flame, add crushed cardamom and saute for a second.
- Then add the big coconut bits, and saute till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Add chopped onion, ginger, garlic, the small coconut bits, turmeric powder, curry leaves and saute till the onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till tomatoes turn mushy and oil starts separating.
- Add fennel seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper powder, mix well. Saute on low flame till the raw smell of masala goes off.
- Add soya chunks, curry leaves, cashew nut bits and mix well.
- Sprinkle little water, mix well. Check salt, add more if required. Cover and cook for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Open the lid, add 1 teaspoon of oil, mix well.
- Keep the lid open and saute well on high flame, till soya chunks get roasted well.
- Soya chunks pepper fry is ready to serve.