Tapioca is a starch extracted from the storage roots of the Cassava plants. Tapioca is more commonly known as Kuchi Kizhangu or Maravallli Kizhangu, Kappa, Kavva pendalam, Mara Genasu and Simla Alu in different parts of India. Tapioca can be used to make various dishes such as TNS Tapioca, Tapioca Masala or Maravalli Kilangu and Tapioca chips.
This article will show you how to make Tapioca chips or kappa varuthathu or kappa chips. These chips are a very popular snack recipe made with tapioca. I followed the same steps of making banana chips and it came out perfectly. It is very popular in Kerala and is easily available in hot chips and other bakery shops throughout the country.
One step to be taken care of while making tapioca chips is that it should be thinly sliced. And also take care to remove the moisture before dropping them into the hot oil. You might also be interested in other snack recipes like potato chips, omapodi, pakoda
How to make Tapioca Chips at Home
Tapioca Chips Recipe | Kappa Chips
- 2 fresh tapioca roots or yuca
- oil for deep frying
- salt to taste
- red chili powder
- To make tapioca chips, let us start by cutting the fresh tapioca.
- Slice off about 1/2-inch from each end of the tapioca root. Now with a knife, remove the brown skin on the top.
- At this point of time, you will find it to be dirty, so clean it well under running water.
- Now using a vegetable slicer or a mandolin, slice into thin circles. This procedure is just as we do for potato chips.
- Spread them on a kitchen towel or on an absorbent paper to drain the excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, carefully drop the slices into the hot oil. Fry them in batches till they turn lightly brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove them from hot oil and place on an absorbent paper to drain the excess oil. Sprinkle salt and chili powder on top. Mix well.
- Once cool, store the tapioca chips in an air-tight container and serve with evening tea or coffee.