Vengayam Thakkali Thokku Recipe
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 6 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ – 1 tsp chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- ¼ cup green peas (frozen) – thawed
- ½ water
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- In a cooking pan or pressure cooker, dump the onions, tomato, turmeric, chili and coriander powder, salt and water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Remove and let it cool.
- If not using a pressure cooker, you can over a Dutch Oven or Saucepan and cook covered for 30-45 minutes on low flame.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron pan with oil. Once hot, pour the onion-tomato mixture and peas. Cook for 30-45 minutes until all the water dries and the mixture gets a beautiful roasted texture and color. It needs to form a gorgeous black base.
- Serve hot with chapatti/roti and cucumber.
- Since it uses little oil and was cooked in a pressure cooker, I eat this curry with chapatti/roti during my weightloss journey.
- This dish is also OK to eat during gestational diabetes. Just skip the green peas during the cooking.
- Also ideal for those who are diabetic and pre-diabetic.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!