My parlour lady is from Vietnam and she gave me some pointers on getting the recipe right. I drove to Ranch 99 store to pick up fish sauce, lemon grass and oyster sauce. I had soy sauce at home. I recommend having this sauce if your family loves Asian cuisine. You can add it to you morning eggs or noodles or use as a dip for spring rolls. You have zillion ways to use it. I love to marinate my chicken/lamb/shrimp or fish with these sauce-cocktail.
Lemongrass as the name suggests has a subtle citrus flavor. I used few fresh stalks. The stalks are fibrous so you need to chop them and mince it in a mortar and pestle. They are widely used in Asian cuisine and I am loving its flavor. This chicken satay is made with lemon grass, tons of garlic and few Asian sauces for added depth in flavor and texture. I used brown rice instead of white to make it more healthy. It’s purely optional. You can even use Jasmine rice. This dish is healthy and nutritious.The honey /agave nectar in the marinade caramelizes in the heat and creates a gorgeous brown glaze over the chicken. I like to leave lemon grass stick around the chicken. But you can throw them away before cooking.
Vietnamese Chicken Satay Recipe
- 5 chicken breast / thigh fillets, boneless
- 1 small onion (shallots) peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red chilli chopped
- 2 stalks of lemon grass use the bottom portion only
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp honey or agave nector optional
- bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes before grillings
- Clean, remove the fat and cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch cubes.
- Chop and crush the lemon grass in mortar and pestle and dump it into a fresh bowl.
- Add the chopped chilies, shaloots, garlic and sauces. Stir to mix well. Add honey and check for salt. All the sauce have enough salt in it. Add more if you want.
- Add the chicken cubes and massage the marinade into the chicken and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
- Thread the chicken into the skewer as you would do for kebobs. Pre-heat the grill to 300F and grill them 5-8 minutes on each side. Serve hot with peanut sauce, rice, lettuce and herbs (cilantro and mint leaves).
Quick And Easy Peanut Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut palm or white sugar Plus more for added sweetness
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- warm water for dillution
- Heat a sauce pan. Dump them all together on it. Gently heat them for 2-3 minutes, until warm.
2. It can be eaten by those who are on a weightloss regime and also by those who are diabetic / pre-diabetic.
3. Omit honey/agave nectar in the marinade and prepare the chicken for phase 1. Just enjoy the chicken with lettuce and herbs. Avoid the rice.