Kothavarangai Poriyal Recipe
Poriyals are bite-sized and he enjoys eating it as they are soft, mildly spiced and colorful. If you plan to introduce Indian dishes to your kids, poriyals / stir fries will be good starting point. They will love the flavors in it. Certain ingredients like mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds and asafoetida have medical insignificance too. What you feed becomes their medicine too.
- 1 lbs cluster beans or kothavarangai
- ¼ cup bengal gram or channa dal
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 dry red chilli optional to tear and cook
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh or dessicated coconut unsweetedned
Pressure cooker method
Fill the base of the pressure cooker with 2 cups water. Place the chopped vegetable and channa dhal in a stainless steel container and place that container inside the pressure cooker base.
Check whether the gasket is sealed well inside the lid of the pressure cooker. Cover the base and insert the whistle and let it cook for 3-4 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the pressure comedown. Remove the whistle. Drain the excess water through a colander and set aside.
Heat oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds and let it pop. Throw in the dry red chillies, curry leaves and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric powder and cook for further 2-3 minutes. Mix in the cooked cluster beans and add salt to taste. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
If using fresh coconuts, sprinkle towards the end of cooking. Mix and serve hot. (Add the dry ones along with onions and saute until they absorb little moisture)
Without pressure cooker
Boil 2 cups of water in a kettle or in a pot. Throw in the chopped cluster beans and cook 3/4th covered for 20 minutes. It is not advisable to cover the lid completely as the water might boil and roll over the vessel and stove.
Heat oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds and let it pop. Throw in the dry red chillies, bengal gram (channa dhaal), curry leaves and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric powder and cook for further 2-3 minutes. Mix in the cluster beans, dry dessicated coconut and add salt to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes for the flavors to marry. Remove and serve
- Cluster beans stir fry is an ideal main dish for South beach phase 1 (Indian Vegetarian meals ideas). They have good amount of proteins and fibre and fills so up so fast.
- Can be eaten in phase 2 and 3 of South beach diet too.
- Since cluster beans have low glycemic index, they are an ideal side dish for women with gestational diabetes or those who are diabetic and pre-diabetic
- I eat a bowl of this with rasam poured over it after a work out. It’s low calorie and uses very less oil. A perfect food for those who are on a weight loss regime.