Cracked Wheat | Daliya Khichdi
Today I have made a delicious khichdi using cracked wheat, mung dhal and masoor dhal (red lentils). The lentils give it a beautiful creamy texture which helps the baby to swallow it with ease. For my three year old son, I prepared this dish by tempering hot olive oil with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. For little heat, I used one finely minced green chily. I used a wide variety vegetables including carrots, beans, frozen peas, cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage. The dish has what we need for a nutritious meal. It has got whole grain (cracked wheat), protein from lentils and fiber from vegetables.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida / hing / perungayam
- 1 green chilly – finely chopped or minced (optional)
- 1 cup vegetables (carrots, beans, cabbage, frozen peas, cauliflower and broccolli)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat / dalia, washed and cleaned
- 1/4 cup masoor dhal, washed and cleaned
- 1/4 cup mung dhal, washed and cleaned
- 5 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Ghee to serve
- 1 pressure cooker with a whistle
Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan. Once hot, add mustard seeds and let it pop. Then add cumin seeds, asafoetida and green chily. Saute for 30 seconds.
Add the vegetables and turmeric powder.Saute for a minute.
Add cracked wheat, mung dhal and masoor dhal. Pour 5 cups water and salt. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Remove and drizzle ghee before you serve